Wednesday, November 4, 2015

I Heard It Through the Grapevine by Gladys Knight & the Pips (1967)


When I was a teenager in the 1980's, I collected hundreds of cassettes and then CDs. Before long, I considered myself an aficionado of classic rock. Back then, 16-year old me would tell you that there were not one, but two versions of I Heard It Through the Grapevine. There was the one by Creedence Clearwater Revival, popularized by the film The Big Chill. And there was the original, Marvin Gaye's version.

I was a foolish youngster. Of course there were dozens of versions of this tune. Of particular note, there was the 1979 version by the Slits, written up in this space back in January. There was also today's featured song. This version by Gladys Knight may be my favorite version. It was the first popular version back in 1967.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQRcUxNJEbs

No comments:

Post a Comment