Friday, November 13, 2015

50,000 Miles Beneath My Brain by Ten Years After (1970)


My first memory of hearing Ten Years After was at a 1989 keg party in Woburn, Massachusetts. It was the end of the summer and I barely knew anyone at the party. I was invited as a friend of a friend, and my friend wasn't even there yet. I was just enjoying my beer like a wallflower, except that I was outside. Music was being played through a boombox from the first floor window to the guests below. This was when I first heard Ten Year's After perform I'm Going Home from Woodstock. I was blown away. Alvin Lee's guitar work and energy that he brought to that performance pushed me to buying the Woodstock Soundtrack CD set. I found a lot of great music on that set. But, I didn't dig too much further into Ten Years After's catalog.

I would only do a deep dive much later. Here is a plodding number from 1970 that builds in intensity throughout the song. Good stuff!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugZU4ITYkuw

No comments:

Post a Comment