Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Nutbush City Limits by Ike & Tina Turner (1973)



My first memory of Ike and Tina Turner was actually from MTV. I don't know if you remember, but in the early days of MTV, through maybe 1988 or so, programmers would occasionally sprinkle classic rock videos culled from live shows, tv appearances, and such. So, I can remember seeing Ike and Tina, along with the Ikettes,  covering CCR's Proud Mary with some cheap psychedelic video effects. I remember thinking that their version blew away the original.

By 1973, the Ikettes were largely a thing of the past. Ike and Tina had a few more records in them. Here is one of my favorites. I would have just played the studio version, but when you get a chance to see Tina Turner live in her prime, you watch...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oRW9cN3ucg

No comments:

Post a Comment