Sunday, September 13, 2015

Lord Only Knows by Beck (1996)


In my mid-twenties, I hung out at the Silver Cue pool hall in Woburn, Massachusetts sharpening my skills. Like many pool halls, they had a jukebox. The usual fare of music played was grunge and classic rock. So, I would automatically notice if there was any deviation from that format. I remember hearing Beck's Loser for the first time and thinking that was quite different. After a few plays, and memorizing some of the silly lines, I picked up his Mellow Gold CD. I remember liking the aformentioned Loser, Beercan, and Fuckin' With My Head. I don't remember listening much to the rest of the album, though. However, it was enough to make me purchase his 1996 release, Odelay, while only having really heard one song.

After listening to the whole thing, I was blown away. I thought(think) that this was a concept album for the 90's. For me, it was probably in the top five albums of that decade. I jumped off the Beck bandwagon by the time Sea Change came about in 2002. For some reason, his music hasn't resonated with me since then. That does not diminish my enjoyment of his earlier work. Here is my favorite track from his masterpiece.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rju7icQD9xg


No comments:

Post a Comment