Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Trudy by the Charlie Daniels Band (1978)


On the surface, the Charlie Daniels Band looked like any other country band of the 1970's. I mean, the bandleader played the fiddle. But something was different about the sound. I mean, with the rise of classic rock radio in the early 80's, the Charlie Daniels Band was getting as much airplay as Grand Funk Railroad or Foghat.

Aside from their biggest hit, The Devil Went Down to Georgia, other classic rock staples included Uneasy Rider and Long Haired Country Boy. There was something that I admired about the message of these songs. They were taking the cultural revolution of the 60's and pushing it a bit into the Deep South.

The other thing about Charlie Daniels' songs is that they tell a story. I am not much of a lyrics guy myself, but I always knew the lyrics to Charlie's tunes because they told such interesting stories.

Here is another such story from 1978, one of my favorites,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUESvITrvsI

No comments:

Post a Comment