Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Cruisin' for Burgers by Frank Zappa (1976)


Through high school, my only knowledge of Frank Zappa's music was the one off semi-hit "Valley Girl" that was recorded with his daughter Moon Unit. It was a funny comedy song. So, I figured that was what Frank Zappa was about. It was a novelty act. I couldn't really get into that music because I was getting into the  "important" music of the Beatles and the Rolling Stones at the time, and their was no room for silliness in my mindset.

It probably took me twenty years to give Zappa another listen. And I'm glad I finally did. He was a phenomenal musician, even if the vocal parts could be silly.  Here is a track without any vocals from his live album, Zappa in New York. I would describe this song as intense, eclectic jazz rock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m22iRg36Pqc


No comments:

Post a Comment