Saturday, March 7, 2015

Rumble by Link Wray and his Ray Men (1958)


Link Wray proved early on that you don't need vocals to make a monster rock track. My first memory of this tune is hearing it on the radio being played in the background while deejays talked over it. I remember wishing the deejay would just shut up and turn up the music under his voice. I could never quite place the song, though, as it was never announced.

It wasn't until Pulp Fiction came out in 1994 that I would consciously recognize this track again. This time it appears as John Travolta and Uma Thurman discuss uncomfortable silences. I remember finally identifying the song once I picked up the soundtrack.

Most recently, I enjoyed seeing Jimmy Page get off listening to this record from the It Might Get Loud guitar documentary in 2008.

For me, though, the best way to enjoy this music is just to close my eyes and listen to the ourity of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucTg6rZJCu4

No comments:

Post a Comment