Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Amoreena by Elton John (1970)


Many people, especially young people, take the internet for granted. I'm glad that I'm old enough to have experienced adult life prior to the widespread use of the internet. It makes me appreciate how easy it is these days to find any piece of information that I'm seeking.

Case in Point: In the early 90's, I rented Sidney Lumet's 1975 film, Dog Day Afternoon. I was getting into Al Pacino movies at the time. This was a great film. I remember the opening credits of the movie give a gritty picture of summer in New York in the early 70's. It was dirty, sweaty, but brimming with life. Here is that opening. Good stuff.

In any case, I immediately recognized the opening music as an Elton John tune, but couldn't quite figure out what song it was. The first time that you here this song, it is hard to guess that the name of it is "Amoreena". I looked at the credits at the end, but didn't see the musical info. Since there was no Google, I checked out Elton John albums, but nothing that was released around the film's release date(1975) seemed to be a hit. Again, as this was now the early 90's, I couldn't just listen to clips of all of Elton John's songs on iTunes to find the right one. Eventually, I considered that it was just someone who sounded like Elton John and I gave up my search.

Years later, after the explosion of the internet, I stumbled on this song. Who knew that it would have been from a 1970 Elton John album. I ended up downloading the album. It became and has remained my favorite EJ album. There is something about the Americana themed, country-tinged sound that I like on this album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmSgjBgo-OM

No comments:

Post a Comment