Sunday, March 1, 2015

Gloria by Patti Smith (1975)




"Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine"...Wow, when Patti Smith covered a song, she really made it her own. She added lyrics, changed arrangements, created poemic introductions. She was one of those few artists who were truly artists. Her interpretations on Hey Joe, My Generation, Time is on My Side, and Pale Blue Eyes are really original. It's ironic that her most popular song, Springsteen's "Because the Night", is the least interesting of the bunch.

Patti's version of Gloria is not exactly "unknown", but I couldn't resist posting it here. Van Morrison's "Gloria" was one of the most covered rock songs, but this is my favorite version, by far. In my life, I've managed to resist the urge to make a list of my favorite songs of all time. I've not done this because that "list" would always be changing, I would invariably forget a song that belongs on the list, and finally "who cares". That said, I've always known that were I to make such a list, this tune would be near the top...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPO0bTaWcFQ

No comments:

Post a Comment