Monday, September 18, 2017

Atomic Bongos by Lydia Lunch (1980)


Back in my mid-twenties I, along with half of my generation, loved Nirvana. After Kurt Cobain died, I sought out Nirvana tracks that weren't on the CDs that I already owned. One such case was the appearance of a live Radio Friendly Unit Shifter on some compilation called Home Alive - The Art of Self Defense. While I liked this Nirvana track, I was unexpectedly blown away by the rest of the CD. To back up for a second, the Home Alive CD was created to raise money for a Seattle-based anti-violence and self-defense organization formed in the wake of The Gits' Mia Zapata's 1993 rape and murder. Listening to this disc over and over again, I was awoken to the pervasive culture of misogyny in this country(world). In addition to the many musical tracks on the album(which were also very good), there were some spoken word pieces that were equally as powerful. One was Lydia Lunch's Why We Murder. It is uncomfortable in the most appealing of ways. I highly recommend seeking it out.

But, this is a music blog, and it turns out that Lydia Lunch has quite a career before the 90's. Here she is off of her first album, Queen of Siam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkqUPS6UHHs

No comments:

Post a Comment