Sunday, January 25, 2015

Have Mercy Judge by Chuck Berry (1970)


There are few declarative statements you can make about rock n' roll due to the subjectivity of its listeners. Even a particular fan of the music may change his or her preferences over a period of time. I am no exception as my musical tastes have changed a lot over the years. With all of that said, my opinion on who was the greatest, most significant forefather of rock n' roll has not changed since I was fourteen years old. That man is Chuck Berry. Someday, Chuck will be gone and that will be a shame. I found this write up on Chuck from the great rock critic Robert Christgau for whom I share a similar opinion on Chuck's greatness.

This tune from 1970 marks Chuck's return to Chess Records. It is the side B of "Tulane" and is a blues number with a very enlightened viewpoint for the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lAmr849Va8


No comments:

Post a Comment