Monday, January 12, 2015

Don't Need Your Lovin' by the Chocolate Watchband (1967)


The Chocolate Watchband didn't get any airplay come the 1980's, as far as I can recall. My only knowledge of the band was that their name would scroll up on those 60's Music Compilation TV ads. You know, "Get 75 swingin' hits of the psychedelic 60's on 5 CDs or 8 cassettes for only $29.99". Due to these ads, I associated this band with other acts on these compilations, like the Strawberry Alarm Clock or the 1910 Fruitgum Company. Since I was thoroughly unimpressed by Incense & Peppermints, I didn't seek out other bands I thought were of the same ilk.

Years later, after my ears were opened, I heard this very song and immediately thought it was some Stones' tune that I had never known about. Once I found out it was by the Watchband, I dug into their music. They put out a couple of really good albums in the late 60's, Inner Mystique and No Way Out. They are highly recommended.

This tune was from the soundtrack to(by most accounts) a lousy film, Riot on the Sunset Strip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSU8Kd3__3c

No comments:

Post a Comment