Sunday, June 16, 2019

I Wanna Be Your Joey Ramone by Sleater-Kinney (1996)



Sometime in February/March 1997, I was going through a stressful period at work, requiring me to get into the office at 4AM for a number of days. On one such day, I was listening to some national radio show that was picked up by my local station on the way in. I remember Eddie Vedder talking up a relatively new band from the Northwest that were phenomenal. Their new LP, Dig Me Out, was the band's third release. He introduced the title track which followed. I instantly fell in love with Sleater-Kinney music. I went out and bought the new CD, as well as the first two. I played them constantly for weeks. 

As luck would have it, the band was touring in support of their new album and would be playing in May at the Middle East over in Cambridge, MA. I bought a ticket(however one bought tickets in 1997. I no longer remember). It was one of the rare occasions in my concert going life that big hype was met with an equally big performance. The band just rocked from end to end cranking through all of their songs with power and determination. After the show, the band hung around and signed some autographs. Stupid me didn't bring any CD's, so I just pulled out a dollar bill. Lead singer Corin Tucker signed it, "A fool and his money...Corin". Classic. I left that show on a high and have been a fan of Corin, Carrie Brownstein, and Janet Weiss ever since. Here they are with a masterpiece of rock music off of their second album Call The Doctor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment