Thursday, December 31, 2015

Shame on the Night by Dio (1983)



I've been going to record shows for a few years since I re-discovered my love for vinyl. One of my go-to vendors for anything heavy metal was Neil Maguire. He was a straight shooter who would give me an honest opinion on any record that I was considering. He would enthusiastically tell me which UFO albums were the ones that I really needed and which ones to avoid. For the record, you need to own Phenomenon, Force It, No Heavy Petting, and Obsession. And in Neil's words, "you may want to pick up one of the first two UFO albums, if you're into that space rock shit"

Over the last year, I started to sell some vinyl at the same shows that Neil did. He was always a good guy to chat with as we were the same age and knew some of the same people. He was also very helpful to other record dealers. At the last show, he helped set up another dealer's table as that dealer was suffering from some back problems. And that's not as easy thing to do as vinyl is heavy! He did all this while cracking jokes.

The other day, I got the sad news that Neil died on Christmas Eve. One of Neil's favorite artists was Ronnie James Dio. He even had a license plate dedicated to Dio. So, in honor of Neil, here is a lesser-known track off of Dio's classic Holy Diver album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pqkDJO1te0

No comments:

Post a Comment