Friday, April 3, 2015

The Money Will Roll Right In by Nirvana (1992)


By early 1992, I was completely into classic rock. The popular music of the day(Dance, Rap, and Hair Band Metal) didn't appeal to me at all. One Sunday night, while at my college apartment, I decided to listen to my university's radio station to see what college bands might be out there. I wasn't hopeful. After a couple of songs, the deejay came on saying that he would play the following song one more time due to so many requests, but that was it. He was sick of getting all the calls for this tune. That song was Smells Like Teen Spirit. I immediately liked this song, I mean I really liked it.

The next weekend I was at some house party. It was packed and there was even  a deejay spinning. This was rare at a UMass party. Still, no one was really dancing, just a lot of drinking and swaying. That was, until this quick thumping song came on and everybody started jumping up and down. The place went nuts. That song was Territorial Pissings. Not long after this, I picked up Nevermind and Bleach.

Nirvana restored hope in me that current music could be great. It really struck a nerve. I would get into the whole "grunge" music wave. Of course, that faded, but I was happy that I got to live through an exciting period of rock music.

Here finds Nirvana playing a lesser known song. I love the message of the naive dreamer expecting to hit it big.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1J3uj2wqPPA

No comments:

Post a Comment