Sunday, April 5, 2015

Long Gone Geek by Procol Harum (1969)


Back in my early high school days in the 80's, I immersed myself into the Beatles. Sure, I had all of the albums, but I also read a ton of books about the Fab Four. I remember one of those biographies relayed the story about how John Lennon rode around London in the Summer of '67 listening to Procul Harum's A Whiter Shade of Pale on a turntable in the back of his paisley colored Rolls Royce. I thought that was just about the coolest thing ever. I would play that story out in my head many times before I actually heard the song for the first time. When I finally did hear a Whiter Shade for the first time, I was disappointed. I thought the tune would be trippier. Oh well, expectations strike again. Over the years, I would learn to love this song, but it took awhile.

It took many years after that to check out anything else by Procul Harum(with the minor exception of Conquistador). Here is a bluesy track from 1969.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRDwb7TLBJM

No comments:

Post a Comment