Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Jet Airliner by Paul Pena (1973)



When I was in college, I couldn't escape the Steve Miller Bands Greatest Hits 1974-78. At any house or apartment party, this cassette was likely to be popped in the stereo by 11PM. For the most part, I didn't care. I was just there to have a good time and the music was peppy enough. As the years went by, though, my tolerance for the same set of Steve Miller songs would wane. Eventually classic rock radio beat these songs into dust.

Then, recently, I discovered two things. 1. Jet Airliner was not an original Steve Miller song and 2. The original, by Paul Pena, was much more soulful.

Paul Pena was born in Massachusetts. He was completely blind for most of his life and beset by health problems that ultimately ended his life at the too young age of 55. None of these challenges prevented Paul from making some great music, though. Check out his most recognizable song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cjr5U7g6aiA

No comments:

Post a Comment