Saturday, December 27, 2014

Come and Get It by Blue Cheer (1968)




Back in the early days of MTV, in addition to playing videos of the time, the station also interjected videos of bands from the 60's. These were usually from live performances or promotional videos made at the time. I imagine that the only reason MTV did this was because they needed to fill a 24/7 schedule with videos and couldn't play the 'Safety Dance" more than 10 times in a day.

I remember seeing videos by the Beatles, CCR, and other standard 60's bands that I was already familiar with. I also remember watching Blue Cheer's version of Summertime Blues in black and white with some terrible psychedelic effects. By this point, I was familiar with Eddie Cochran's version of Summertime Blues, so this version was way over the top. I don't think I enjoyed this version, but I would watch it whenever it came on because it was so heavy. Later, I came to love when hearing it on stereo.

Of course, it took me decades to discover that Blue Cheer made a lot of other great music in the late 60's. Here is a tune from their 1968 LP, Outsideinside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElYgS7Xpc9U


No comments:

Post a Comment