Saturday, August 15, 2015

Too Fast for Love by The Donnas (1999)


The Donnas often got criticized for trying to be the next Runaways. While the bands had some things in common(Both were all female teenage rock bands from California), there are differences too. First of all, the Runaways sound was much more arena rock, while the Donnas were more of a garage band. Also, and more importantly, the Runaways were the pieced together by Kim Fowley in a very Monkees-esque fashion, where the Donnas all met in 8th grade before starting the band.

In any case, Runaways-level success was not in the cards for the Donnas. However, they did put out a bunch of quality albums over the last twenty years. While I like a lot of their original songs, I find my favorite Donnas' songs are covers. I love their version of REO Speedwagon's Keep On Loving You and Ace Frehley's Speedin' Back to My Baby. Another one of my favorites is this version of the Motley Crue staple.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYu3fvQ1CFg

No comments:

Post a Comment