Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Strangered in the Night by Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers (1976)





I had never been a big Tom Petty fan. I mean, I liked Refugee okay. And, when I was in college, "Even the Losers" became a theme song for a group of friends. Then, when Silence of the Lambs came out, I gained an appreciation for "American Girl". Yet, I didn't go out and buy any of Petty's albums. I guess I was a peripheral fan at most.

Over the past couple of years, though, I have been listening to Petty's "Buried Treasure" weekly radio show on Sirius. Regardless of whether or not you like his music, you should check out his radio show. He is funny, has strong musical opinions, and has great taste in music.

Being a fan of his show pushed me to check out more of his own work and there are some real gems that never got airplay back in the classic rock radio era. Check out this track from his first album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_QoI-ROkdk

No comments:

Post a Comment