Monday, February 15, 2016

Pop Queen by Ben Lee (1995)




Back in the mid-90's, in the post-Grunge world, popular rock music was still pretty diverse. Hard rock, pop rock, something in the middle, there was a fair amount to choose from that would get regular airplay on "alternative" radio stations. It wouldn't be uncommon to hear Rage Against the Machine, followed by the Breeders, followed by the Beastie Boys. It was on one of those stations, probably WFNX in Boston, where I heard Australian teenager Ben Lee's Pop Queen for the first time. I just thought that this was a perfect little minimalist pop rock song. I still do!

I never heard any other tunes by Ben Lee on the radio, so I never really sought out his debut album on CD(I wasn't into CD singles). Then, a few years later, I downloaded a computer program called Napster. One of the first songs that I downloaded was, you guessed it, Ben Lee's Pop Queen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sf6XRlBs4js

No comments:

Post a Comment