Wednesday, February 18, 2015

I Want to Hold Your Hand by the Moving Sidewalks (1969)




In my mid-teens, I was a huge Beatles fan, to the point of excluding all other music. I remember feverishly waiting for the Beatles discography to be released onto CD for the first time and buying the first four albums at Caldor's on day they went on sale. To me, and to the annoyance of my friends, the Beatles were the best and could not be improved upon. Therefore, when I would hear covers of Beatles songs, like Aerosmith's version of "Come Together" or even Joe Cocker's take on "With a Little Help from my Friends", I was not impressed. In reality, I was just not ready to hear these different perspectives on the Beatles' songbook.

Years went by and I branched out to listen to music from other bands and other eras. A couple of years ago, I stumbled upon this version of the early Beatles' classic. While I had not heard of the Moving Sidewalks to this point, I instantly recognized Billy Gibbons' distinctive voice. He made some great garage rock prior to forming ZZ Top.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87dHLPMF07g

No comments:

Post a Comment