Sunday, February 22, 2015

Capri Pants by Bikini Kill (1996)


In the mid-90's, I often served as a designated driver when my friends and I would go out on the tiles. One of the benefits of being the driver was that I got to choose the music played in the car. One Saturday night, I remember sliding a mixed tape of Bikini Kill into my Mazda's cassette player as we were leaving Boston's North End on our way home. One of my friends commented "What is this shit!". Ha! Some people just have no sensibility for punk. Me? I loved what I was hearing and the music that I was getting into for the previous year or so. I was too young for the first punk movement of the 70's. The Riot Grrl movement was a contemporary sound that I could listen to as it was happening.

For anyone who has not heard of Bikini Kill, I recommend this documentary on Kathleen Hanna, the band's lead singer and driving force.

Here is a song off their last regular studio album. It isn't their best song or my personal favorite, but it does capture the essence of their sound quite well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO2nWMPRayI

No comments:

Post a Comment