Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Rock n' Roll Victim by Death (1975)



I first heard of Death a couple of years ago. They have been described as "proto-punk". I don't know. I supposed that I can hear a bit of the punk sound. To me, though, it just sounds like high energy rock n' roll. Maybe they are too tight as a band to be lumped in with punk.

In any case, this band has a really interesting story. They were comprised of three brothers from Detroit(Bobby, Dannis, and David Hackney) who formed this garage band in the mid 70's. They made a bunch of demos, but never got their material released while the band was active. They broke up the band in 1977. The brothers eventually moved to Vermont. David died of lung cancer in 2002. Dannis and Bobby went on to form a reggae band.

Here is a blistering track from those early demos. A documentary about this band was released in 2012. More information can be found here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGxHvyQgzoA

No comments:

Post a Comment