Monday, February 9, 2015

Can't Find Love by The Easybeats (1969)



Like most music fans in their forties, you can imagine that I was loathe to watch the Grammys. Almost all of the music performed or awarded was surely going to be autotuned pablum cooked up by unimaginative writers and record producers and performed by another pretty face.

But having kids will make you watch things on TV that you wouldn't otherwise watch. After all, I had made it through the Barney years, I could handle the Grammys, right? Of course, you can imagine my surprise when AC/DC opened the show doing what they do best. Seeing Angus Young run around the stage at age 59 in his trademark schoolboy outfit was refreshing, if not a bit silly. It also reminded me that he(and Malcolm for that matter) were not the first Young brothers to gain fame through music.

I am referring to their older brother, George Young, and his wildly popular Australian pop rock band, the Easybeats. The 'beats started in 1964 and had the international hit "Friday on My Mind". Well, the band would ultimately run its course by 1969. Here is one of their last singles. They seemed to move from a poppy to a garage sensibility with their music by the end. It's too bad that they didn't continue on into the 70's to see what may have developed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDRg10X-mas

P.S. The rest of the Grammys was the crap I had expected...

No comments:

Post a Comment