Tuesday, May 7, 2019

E.M.I. by The Sex Pistols (1977)



Back in high school, in the mid-1980's, I had read somewhere(probably Rolling Stone magazine) about the Sex Pistols being the most influential punk band ever. So, I ordered the defunct punker's cassette through Columbia House, just to check them out. A few weeks later, the tape of Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols arrived in the mail. I was surprised to discover that the music was very familiar, it just sounded like sped-up Chuck Berry music. The lyrics, however, were quite scandalous(to my sheltered teen ears). As a result, I played this tape over and over again, wearing it out. For years, I thought that punk music began and ended with the Sex Pistols. Years later, I would do a deep dive into the genre and begin to have a much deeper appreciation all of other seminal punk bands and the scene as a whole. Despite all that, whenever I hear the term "Punk", I still think of the Sex Pistols. Here they are with their salute to the Electric and Musical Industries after being fired three months into a two-year contract.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CSSFdaVr5U

No comments:

Post a Comment