Sunday, October 1, 2017

Happy Just to Be by Mom's Apple Pie (1972)



Back in the 80's, when I was a teenager, I have a recollection of reading some Rolling Stone list of the most controversial album covers of all time. Near the top of that list was the self-titled debut album from a ten-piece band from Ohio, Mom's Apple Pie. (Please note that the album cover pictured in the linked Youtube video is the censored version. If you'd like to see the uncensored version, you are only a quick Google search away). In any case, after reading that article, I remember looking at my local record store to see what all the fuss was about. Of course, that album had been out of print, so I quickly forgot about it. Fast forward a couple of decades or so, and I looked up this album on the internet. The controversial album cover was quite predictable. The music, however, was surprising. The band sounds like a slightly funkier version of Blood, Sweat, and Tears. I had expected some hard rocking tunes that matched my stereotype of a band that would have racy album art. It just goes to show you that you can't judge a record by its cover...

Here is the band performing one of their more upbeat tunes. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiaJuulcO04

No comments:

Post a Comment