Saturday, May 16, 2015

Metronomic Underground by Stereolab (1996)


In the mid-1990's, after the death of Kurt Cobain, I continued to follow "grunge" music for awhile as it emerged into the post-grunge scene. The quality of guitar-driven music was starting to deteriorate. though. While I loved(love) guitar driven rock, I knew that it was probably going to go through a rough patch. Instead of just putting up with it, I decided to seek out other alternative music. I did this through college radio, mostly. (While the internet was up and running by then, music streaming was still a few years away.) 

I stumbled on to some post punk bands, but that wasn't really doing it for me. Finally, I started listening to Spiritualized, Portishead, and Stereolab, among others. This "electronic lounge" music resonated with me at the time and still reminds me of my mid-twenties. Here is a track from Stereolab's epic Emperor Tomato Ketchup lp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyCjTj0aAQY

No comments:

Post a Comment