Thursday, January 28, 2016

Get Up & Enjoy Yourself by Head East (1978)



Long before the internet, when you would hear a part of a song that you liked but missed the dj introduction, you would have to just wait until you heard it again and hopefully be able to get the title or band name. You could also try asking a friend by humming the song or singing a fragment of the lyrics. These methods, though, were often ineffective or took a long time to get any resolution.

For a couple of years in the 1980's, as I was listening mostly to classic rock radio, I came upon my "white whale" of unidentified songs. The particular song featured the refrain "Save my life, I'm going down for last time" along with some classic rock guitar solos. After a couple of years, I finally caught this rarely played song and the dj's back introduction. It was Head East's "Never Been Any Reason". I proceeded to then buy the cassette and overplaying it myself. But at least I had identified my white whale.

Here is another track by Illinois' Head East. It was taken off of their self-titled fourth album. There is nothing fancy about this song. It is pure, indulgent, 70's arena rock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzmAhLfx_8E

No comments:

Post a Comment